Please click on the images below to view a gallery of our events & activities at the Regent Upstairs Cinema.
Regent Young New Zealander's Club ca1945/46. A patriotic club for children established by Robert Kerridge. Members met once a month to watch short "patriotic" films and cartoons, with sing-alongs and other entertainment. Each member proudly wore a badge and a monthly magazine was published. The Regent has an original copy of Vol 1 of the "The Young New Zealander" magazine in its archives.
Regent Auditorium ca1940. Photo taken from rear of circle upstairs. Alcove and stage lighting was concealed neon, changing red, blue, green pre-show and at interval. A large ornamental ceiling light with frosted glass panels also with concealed neon changing red blue green in the centre of the auditorium ceiling - two panels can be seen in the top left of the photo. Sadly, none of this neon, nor the ceiling light exist today. On the right of the photo can be seen the edge of a series of 6 art-deco wall lights. Only two of these remain in the downstairs auditorium today. Photo:The Celluloid Circus, Wayne Brittenden
The students of St Anthony's School, Pahiatua held a fundraiser to support their community theatre. The students potted up and sold daffodils and raised $1050 for the cinema. Well done guys ! Friends of St Anthony's president Beccy Anderson presents the cheque to Cinema Society President Eleanor Bridge.
At the "Poles Apart" screening 22 Oct 2014. Celebrating the 70th anniversary of the opening of the Polish children's refugee camp on the outskirts of Pahiatua in 1944. Cinema manager Bruce Lea with Agnes Diamond and her grand-niece in a costume loaned by the NZ Polish Association. Agnes handed out free Polish sweets and chocolates to patrons as they arrived.